Work in the European Parliament
Tsvetelina Penkova is a Bulgarian Member of the European Parliament in the 9th parliamentary term from the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats.
А member of four parliamentary committees:
- Committee on Budgetary Control: The committee monitors, checks and controls the spending of funds by all EU institutions and the cost-effectiveness of the various forms of Union financing in the implementation of the Union’s policies. The Committee is responsible for EU-funded programs and Member States' spending of EU funds. It carries out checks and submits questions to the institutions concerned. It works actively with the European Court of Auditors and OLAF.
- Committee on Regional Development: The committee monitors structural and investment funds related to regional development and the cohesion policy. The Committee deals with the allocation of the European Regional Development Fund, Cohesion Policy and other Union regional policy instruments. The focus of the work is the Green Pact and the envisaged funds and mechanisms for financing the transition to a low carbon economy.
- Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection: The committee is responsible for the common regulations of the single European market and protecting the consumer rights of the EU citizens. The Committee coordinates the national legislation of the Member States on the topics of the internal market and the customs union, harmonizing technical standards, freedom of establishment and freedom to provide services, with the exception of the financial and postal sectors. Other highlights include roaming charges, the problem dual standards for products, digital services, digital themes and more.
- Committee on Industry, Research and Energy: The committee is responsible for the Union’s industrial policy, the high-tech industry, energy policy, information technology and communications networks and services. The Committee works on measures for the security of energy supply in the EU, promotion of energy efficiency and energy savings, as well as the development of new and renewable energy sources and the interconnection of energy networks, including the construction and development of trans-European networks in the energy infrastructure sector. Topics for debate are the Euratom Treaty and the Euratom Supply Agency, nuclear safety, decommissioning and the disposal of waste in the nuclear sector. The Committee's activities also cover the Union’s research and industrial policy, the information society and information technology, including the establishment and development of trans-European networks in the telecommunication infrastructure sector. Finally, it’s work include the coordination of the European Space Policy and the European Network and Information Security Agency (ENISA).
Tsvetelina Penkova participates in three parliamentary delegations:
- Delegation to the EU-Serbia Stabilisation and Association Parliamentary Committee - working on all aspects of the negotiations and preparations for Serbia's EU accession. The Committee is actively involved in the process, meeting twice a year. Emphasis is placed on the functioning of democratic institutions, the improvement of the electoral environment, the strengthening of inter-party dialogue, the protection of fundamental rights and freedoms, regional cooperation and the Belgrade-Pristina dialogue. For the first time in this delegation there is a representative from Bulgaria.
- Delegation for relations with Japan - The Delegation was formed in 1979 and has been holding annual Inter-Parliamentary Meetings (IPMs) with its Japanese counterparts ever since. The environment, climate change, security and defense, development and crisis management are areas of paramount importance for the EU and Japan and are therefore central to the delegation's work.
- Delegation for relations with the countries of Southeast Asia and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) - The Delegation was formed in 1979, focusing on discussions with officials in ASEAN fora in ten countries, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Topics under discussion are related to trade policies, the economy and social development of the countries, human rights issues, rule of law, good governance, security, migration and regional cooperation.
Tsvetelina Penkova has major parliamentary activities, including the preparation of reports as rapporteur or shadow rapporteur on topics of common interest to the Union, participation in plenary debates and votes, negotiation with other EU institutions, in oral or written form.
At this stage, Tsvetelina Penkova has been appointed by the competent committees to monitor progress and negotiate compromise texts as a shadow rapporteur on several key reports:
1. REPORT on discharge in respect of the implementation of the European Union general budget for the financial year 2018, Section III - Commission and executive agencies;
2. REPORT on discharge in respect of the implementation of the budget of the Eighth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh European Development Funds for the financial year 2018;
3. REPORT on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Council Regulation (EC) No 2012/2002 with a view to providing financial assistance to Member States to offset the serious financial burden resulting from the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without agreement;
4. REPORT on the proposal for the appointment of Klaus-Heiner Lehne as a Member of the Court of Auditors;
Participation in social causes:
- Ambassador of the people with epilepsy in the European Parliament
- Participation in the Alzheimer's Bulgaria's European Dementia Commitment Initiative
REPORT on discharge in respect of the implementation of the general budget of the European Union for the financial year 2018, Section III – Commission and executive agencies
03-03-2020 A9-0069/2020 PE639.827v02-00
REPORT on discharge in respect of the implementation of the budget of the eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh European Development Funds for the financial year 2018
03-03-2020 A9-0057/2020 PE639.836v02-00
Едноминутни изказвания по въпроси с политическа значимост